• Latest
  • Trending
Senegal confirms first coronavirus case

Senegal confirms first coronavirus case

March 2, 2020
Okai Mintah Vows To Take Bimbilla Seat for NDC in 2028

Okai Mintah vows to take Bimbilla seat for NDC in 2028

August 21, 2026
Oppong-Fosu engages NDC Western Region caucus ahead of formal declaration

Oppong-Fosu engages NDC Western Region caucus ahead of formal declaration

August 21, 2026
DVLA expands services with newly launched Amrahia Ultra Centre

DVLA expands services with newly launched Amrahia Ultra Centre

August 21, 2026
Fibre Repairs Drain Millions Ghana Needs for Digital Expansion

Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion

August 20, 2026
Fairtrade Africa Convenes Industry for Change Day 2026

Fairtrade Africa Convenes Industry for Change Day 2026

August 20, 2026
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold8 Now Available in Ghana

Samsung Begins Sale of Galaxy Z Fold8 on Ghana Market

August 20, 2026
Absa supports EUR 456 million financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth

Absa supports EUR 456 million financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth

August 20, 2026
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work

Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work

August 20, 2026
National Youth Forum 2026 connects Ghana’s Youth to new opportunities

National Youth Forum 2026 connects Ghana’s Youth to new opportunities

August 20, 2026
National Youth Forum 2026: Youth Minister Restores Hope in Young People

National Youth Forum 2026: Youth Minister Restores Hope in Young People

August 20, 2026
NSA Accepts 2,120 Sports Essentials from Ghana-Anhui Chamber to Boost Constituency Games

NSA Accepts 2,120 Sports Essentials from Ghana-Anhui Chamber to Boost Constituency Games

August 20, 2026
Samsung Galaxy Watch Ultra2 and Watch9: Your Health Companion on the Wrist

Samsung Galaxy Watch Ultra2 and Watch9: Your Health Companion on the Wrist

August 20, 2026
Happy Ghana
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
    • International Sports
    • Afcon2017
    • Afcon2019
    • Corporate Knockout
    • U17 World Cup
    • World Cup 2018
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Bizarre
  • Feature
  • More
    • Technology
    • Opinion
    • Lifestyle
  • Listen Live
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
    • International Sports
    • Afcon2017
    • Afcon2019
    • Corporate Knockout
    • U17 World Cup
    • World Cup 2018
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Bizarre
  • Feature
  • More
    • Technology
    • Opinion
    • Lifestyle
  • Listen Live
No Result
View All Result
Happy Ghana
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Senegal confirms first coronavirus case

in Sports
Senegal confirms first coronavirus case

Senegal confirms first coronavirus case

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Senegal confirmed its first case of the novel coronavirus on Monday, marking just the second infection in sub-Saharan Africa amid concerns over the continent’s vulnerability to outbreaks of contagious diseases.

A French man who lives in Senegal visited France in mid-February, contracting the virus before returning to the West African country and being quarantined in the capital Dakar, Senegal’s Health Minister Diouf Sarr said.

READ MORE: We’ve had basic checks on Nana Addo; no need for quarantine – GHS

ADVERTISEMENT

“The results of the tests carried out by the Pasteur Institute in Dakar came back positive,” Sarr told journalists.

“So far the patient’s condition has not raised any major concerns.”

The patient, a father of two who has lived in Senegal for more than two years, stayed in the southern French city of Nimes as well as a unspecified ski resort last month, Sarr said.

The man then returned to Senegal on February 26, where he went to a medical centre and registered a fever of 39 degrees Celsius (102 Fahrenheit) as well as a sore throat and headache.

The centre contacted the country’s coronavirus alert unit and the patient was quarantined, the minister said.

“The surveillance and response system for COVID-19 has been bolstered and all measures are being taken to contain the disease,” Sarr said.

READ MORE: Video: Unrest erupts once more over murder of Assemblyman in Sogakope

He urged the population to stay calm, adding he was “perfectly confident” in the country’s health system.

The first case in sub-Saharan African was recorded last week in Nigeria, where an Italian national returned with the virus from his home country.

Italy has emerged as the European hotspot for the deadly virus, with more than 2,000 cases, while France has reported the third most in Europe, with at least 130.

Before Senegal and Nigeria, the only reported cases in Africa were in Egypt and Algeria.

But experts fear the virus spreading to Africa, which struggles with conflicts, poor health infrastructure, crowded cities with inadequate sanitation, rickety governance and porous borders — all of which provide excellent opportunities for the virus to spread.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has urged African countries to come together and be more aggressive in attacking the virus.

“Our biggest concern continues to be the potential for COVID-19 to spread in countries with weaker health systems,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said last week.

A 2016 analysis by US thinktank the Rand Corporation found that of the 25 countries in the world that are most vulnerable to infectious outbreaks, 22 are in Africa.

Tags: CoronavirusSenegal

Subscribe to receive notification everytime a new post is published. We promise to be discrete.

Unsubscribe
Previous Post

Video: Spiritual man explains why it is difficult to reverse curses

Next Post

DCE offers 10k for information on Popular mobile money vendor killers in Sogakope

Next Post

DCE offers 10k for information on Popular mobile money vendor killers in Sogakope

Search

No Result
View All Result

Listen Live

Happy Kaseɛbɔ 600AM news bulletin
Happy Kaseɛbɔ 600AM news bulletin

BBC Match of the Day Africa

ADVERTISEMENT
Happy Ghana

Recent News

  • Okai Mintah vows to take Bimbilla seat for NDC in 2028
  • Oppong-Fosu engages NDC Western Region caucus ahead of formal declaration
  • DVLA expands services with newly launched Amrahia Ultra Centre
  • About
  • advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Happy FM – Powered by Ghana’s leading radio network. Designed with passion by Global Media Alliance.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
    • International Sports
    • Afcon2017
    • Afcon2019
    • Corporate Knockout
    • U17 World Cup
    • World Cup 2018
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Bizarre
  • Feature
  • More
    • Technology
    • Opinion
    • Lifestyle
  • Listen Live

© 2025 Happy FM – Powered by Ghana’s leading radio network. Designed with passion by Global Media Alliance.