Former Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports, O.B. Amoah, has expressed shock over Asante Kotoko’s decision to pull out of the Normalization Committee (NC) of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) Special Competition.
Asante Kotoko said they would not honour their semifinal game of the Tier One of the Special Competition against Accra Hearts of Oak, slated for Sunday, June 16, at the Accra Sports Stadium.
According to the Kumasi based club, the decision to pull out of the competition, was due to the conduct of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) Normalisation Committee (NC), adding that they had been disrespected by the GFA.
But speaking on Happy FM’s ‘Epa Hoa Daben show’ with Kwame Afrifa-Mensah and Ohene Brenya Bampoe, the former deputy sports minister said, he was scandalised by the decision of the Kumasi based club. According to him, the problem can be solved amicably without one pulling out of the competition.
“I don’t think it is a good idea for Kotoko to pull out of the competition, I was surprised when I saw the news in the media that Kotoko has pulled out. They must be in the competition. No matter what the situation is, it can be solved amicably. I don’t agree with them especially when we are trying hard to normalize our football in the country.”
A statement from the club said they were “discontent with the failure and/or delay on the part of the Football Association to respond their letter dated May 27, to clarify certain misunderstandings they had on the competition.
“Management however wishes to reiterate its earlier position that it would not accept the decision by the FA for the one-off semi-final match at the Accra Sports Stadium.
By: Joseph Nii Ankrah